Wednesday, March 25, 2009

This Blessed House

At the end of our class discussion on the interview of Jhumpa Lahiri and the story as a whole, the question "is everything you do a performance?" came up.  My first instinct was to say no, but then I got to thinking and realized the answer is much more complicated than a yes-no answer.  In the story, Twinkle could be interpreted as putting on a performance when she wants to display the Mary statue in their lawn and Sanjeev could been seen as putting on a performance when he acts like he doesn't hate the christian trinkets in front of his guests at his party.  I also started to think of everyday instances where people, including myself could be preforming instead of acting as myself.  The first occasion I can think of when I do put on a performance instead of acting as myself is when i meet people my dad works with.  This only occurs ever once in a while when my family has a party or my sisters and I go downtown to meet him for lunch.  Are there times in everyday life that people are putting on performances?  Are some people's entire lives performances?  I have never know a person whose entire life is a performance, but then again how would I know?  The only time I have seen this is in movies and books, but that is because as a reader or viewer you get to see all sides.  Everybody does their little performances in certain situations but I would like to believe that a person's entire life is not a performance but it could be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment