Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lucy

I never really understood the cover to the novel Lucy until I read the middle section of the book.  The cover is a painting of a naked woman.  I am assuming the girl in the painting is Lucy.  I did not have a clue as to why Jamaica Kincaid would have picked this as her cover until I read the section that included both Peggy and Paul.  I now am guessing that the painting was done by Paul because at the party Peggy takes Lucy to where she first meets Paul she learns he is an artist by the many paintings around his apartment, some of naked women.  I am wondering if in the last part of the book we hear of the time Paul painted this or if what I have just speculated is just thoughts made up in my head.  I can see this painting have an influence on Lucy and Peggy's relationship because just the fact that Lucy has a sexual relationship with Paul rubs Peggy the wrong way.  I have a feeling that this painting will in some way change either the direction of the story in relations to Lucy's life or just in relations to Lucy and Peggy's relationship.  I hope to learn an answer in the last pages of the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment